The Wonder (2022)
Welcome to Phumi24
Summary
Following the terrorist incident, halfway through the flight, the passenger plane declared a state of emergency.
Description:
In 1862 an English nurse is called to the Irish Midlands by a devout Community to conduct a 15-day examination over one of their own where an 11 year old girl who claims not to have eaten for four months has been miraculously surviving as the child's health rapidly deteriorates the nurse is determined to unearth the truth challenging the faith of a community that would prefer to stay believing so this opens on a movie set which I found to be a very odd choice now I think the director is trying to illustrate the power of belief that even the actors believe in this movie so much that it's going to make it real but for me it almost instantly broke me out of the illusion of a film now I know it was one but to call it out as fake right from the start I just thought that was weird this is based on the novel of the same name by Emma Donohue now I've not read that so I can't speak to how closely this adaptation sticks to the source material luckily though I'm reviewing the movie which I watched and not the book now Florence Pugh stars is lib the English nurse who's hired by the Irish Community to watch the girl to determine how she's been able to supposedly survive for four months without eating now Pew plays the character with a certain matter of factness but she's not without compassion I really enjoyed watching her play a firm-handed science-based person who also felt like she would bend on her stances just in order to save the child from any harm the costume and the set designs they really helped to transport us to the late 1800s where everything has this cold Hue to it and everyone and then everything just looks perpetually damp now I especially enjoyed the interior shots when it was darker because there would be Candlelight that would be the only illumination casting a very warm glow across the faces but then also using the Shadows to create a sense of mystery the story is quiet and it's even frustrating at times and there are points where it feels slow even though the patient drama is actually part of the storytelling feature I mean we're supposed to join lib in her observations and then feel her frustration that slowly turns to concern and the narrative draws this out allowing us to feel some of that line passage now the film's only an hour and 48 minutes but it can feel a bit longer because there's also a repetition of the events as lib performs her duties each day in basically the same manner every time now in addition to Pew the other main character is Anna the little girl who's played by Kila Lord Cassidy now she's great to watch in this because of just how steadfastly she portrays the beliefs of that child mimicking the Ardent faith of her family and because we as the audience aren't supposed to know if the family is telling the truth or performing a hoax Anna has to come across as innocent but not simple or dumb she has to make us feel uncertain in our stance and I think she accomplished that really well there are many moments where I felt like I was sure about what was happening but then the character could convince me otherwise we also get some good performances from Neve algar Tom Burke Toby Jones Karen Hines Dermot Crowley and Brian O'Byrne now I love the mix of skepticism and then utter belief that is seen throughout the community some fervently believe that what's going on is a miracle from God While others they're just convinced it's all a scam and even when the story presents the truth there are still those that can't accept it and they want to continue believing what they believed even though it's blatantly wrong now in addition to the opening scene where the set is clearly shown there's a small part in the middle-ish of the movie where the fourth wall is broken and that was really strange I mean the story is very dramatic and even mildly tense but to have a character address the audience it just didn't work for me I mean it severed the movie illusion and then made me aware that I'm watching the story where the characters are aware that they're being watched now there's kind of an odd love story that forms within...
Thank you for support Phumi24.org

